Friday, January 8, 2010

My little engineer





So, on Abryn's 6th birthday, Grandma gave him this cool little erector set. It had several different options for things to create. Two days ago, Abryn started working on a project. He got really frustrated with the directions, and like a big boy, he decided on his own that he needed a break. He quickly packed up his little tool box, and put the things away. He was trying not to cry, he told me. The next morning he pulled it all out again, and worked on it for half the day. He took a break and ate some lunch, and went to school. After school, it was straight back to work. He asked for help each time, but we have been pretty busy and haven't had time to get to it. So, he patiently waited, and worked very diligently on this project. There was only one little hiccup, that I sat down and worked out with him, other than that I just saw in awe and watched my little boy problem solve, follow the directions, clean up his work station, and try different things till he had it. It was done, batteries were in, and the motor worked perfect!! He did great. I was so proud. I'm hoping it's a sign of big things to come in his future! :)

1 comment:

Susie said...

Aw, so cute. A six-year-old aspiring geek. :)
Seriously, though, engineering is definitely one of those things that's tough to learn - you either have it or you don't. Looks like Abryn has it.