Monday, February 9, 2009

Headed to Jail

So...we have had a problem with Austin stealing. He's taken something from school once that I found in his backpack. I returned it to his teacher and told him that wasn't okay. Incident #2... Austin tries to take a toy from school again! His teacher catches him and makes him put it back. He secretly stuck it in his backpack and brought it home anyway. I found it, he made up a story that she gave it to him, and after a little interrogation, he admitted that he took it again. We took it back to school, and wrote a letter to his teacher apologizing for his actions. Then comes today.... we were running errands for my mom and were in a grocery store. We were in the process of leaving when we happened upon a rack of very enticing little cars, trucks, and tractors put right at their level (of course). The boys asked if they could have one....the usual answer "no".... and Abryn put it back. I turned around and we walked out of the store. On our way out the door, I noticed Austin has his hands behind his back. That little stink had the nerve to take the car he wanted and hide it so I wouldn't see it. We immediately took it back in, returned it, and apologized to the lady at customer service. What am I doing wrong? We came home and I told him to tell Dad what he had done. So, Dad scooped him up, put him in the truck and trotted right off to the police station down on Barrister! Can you believe it? He was terrified when Andrew told him where they were going. Choking on all his fear and tears, he studdered..."Jail is a terrible place!" He did well, the nice lady officer told him that she would give him one more chance. He said, "Mom, the police girl said a nice thing.....one more chance and then she is gonna put my hands on cuff and rest me!" He said he's never gonna do that again. We'll see........wish us luck!

9 comments:

H.A.M.A. Fam said...

That is funny! Drew cracks me up! I think every parent has a child at one point or another that has sticky fingers! Be glad it is now and not as a teenager!!

Nancy said...

Ditto the last comment, good thing he's learning now! I'm sure this experience will stick with him for quite some time... and he'll know that his parents are serious too.

Brianna said...

I agree it's good he's learning now (although I don't have kids yet). I think that Andrew did the right thing, because if your message isn't getting through, he needs to learn ...even if it's the hard way :)

Wandering Hornet said...

I love that you have no problem doing things like that to get the message threw!!!!!

Barbara said...

Way to go Drew! I would have done exactly the same thing. I probably would have had them put him in a cell for a minute though. Austin's a good kid he's just testing his boundries.

Steph said...

Good call, Drew! I don't know what else you can do to get their attention, so I'm all for that! I'm going to use that...but I'm hoping it doesn't happen. :)

Amy Mella said...

That is SO awesome! Mike and I just laughed and laughed. Good luck. Sometimes it is hard to know what to do. Andrew had a fantastic idea. We're going to "steal" that one if we ever have this situation.

Cheryl Tennant said...

We had to do this too with one of our sons only he got "thrown" into the jail cell at 14 years old!! It was a life changing time for him. Good Luck!
Aunt Cheryl

Topsy said...

Oh that's just an awesome story!!!!!