Sunday, February 22, 2009

The City Bus


So, for something a little different on Saturday afternoon, I took the kids for a fun outing on the city bus. Yes, you heard me right......THE city bus! We've seen them in passing many times, and talked about taking them too. I finally decided to take them for a ride to the library and back. That sounds simple I know, but it really was quite a trek! It all started out trying to find the closest bus stop. I finally found that, and drove to it. (Shhh.....it was way too far to walk.) After figuring out that route didn't run on Saturdays, I had to find another one. Thank goodness for cell phones. Then, once there we waited FOREVER for one to come, and the journey began. It couldn't have been as simple as going down Federal Way to Capital in front of the library as I had hoped. We had to take one bus downtown, switch buses, and then back up 9th. We got off a couple blocks behind the library and walked the rest of the way there. While we were downtown, a balloon lady stopped us and made them balloon animals, which was kinda neat. The kids didn't last long at the library, and wanted to go again but this time their backpacks had books in them so they were heavy. (Yep, you guessed it, I ended up wearing them.) We walked a few more blocks to the gas station and got a snack. Then waited forever and a day to hop on another bus BACK towards downtown again. This bus driver told us to stay on during his whole route, so we would be back downtown again right in time for the bus back to Federal Way. I learned his whole life story about his ex-wife and her alcoholism. I learned about how he felt about AA meetings and how his daughter is starting down the wrong path now too. Seriously? A very nice man, but a LONG ride. Finally we got to the connecting bus stop, and we were on our way home. When we finally got close enough to our car, we hopped off and loaded up. Tell me how jealous you are, and how much you wish you could have done it instead of me! I know you want to........



4 comments:

Steph said...

Amy, I spent 2 and a half years having to take the bus in San Diego. I KNOW the frustration of it, and I didn't even have any kids! Good for you. It is fun once in a while. But...next time, probably on a weekday! :) ( I found that out the hard way in SD.)

Ward Family said...

Brave girl! They will remember it forever though! It was worth it.

Nancy said...

They will remember their big outing on the city bus forever. They won't be scared to ride busses if they're ever living in a big city too. You're a great Mommy to give them this experience even though it was probably quite a pain for you. Can you imagine the grief we put our parents through? I try not to think about it.

Malauna said...

What an adventure. I bet your kids totally loved it -- even the talkative bus driver.