Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Bad Mommy...

I feel so ashamed. I just totally lost my cool with my 5 year old, over dinner! I just get so frustrated. I usually just let it go and let him get down from the table. However, I knew that today he would like it if he just gave it a chance.... BUT to my demise, he wouldn't come within 10 feet of it. What was this horrible, rotten, no good meal that I made for dinner? Biscuits and gravy. Yep you got it, bread, sausage, and gravy. He loves bread. He loves sausage. He loves sauce to dip things in. But when I broke up the biscuits and poured the gravy & sausage mixture over it, he flipped out. I tried to calmly explain what it was. I tried to rationalize. I tried to just have him taste ONE bite before he said he didn't like it. I tried to force him to come to his seat. And, I made him open his mouth so I could put one little bit of sausage in his mouth.....nothing but that.....and without even biting down on the sausage one time, he threw up all over my kitchen floor. Ugh! I hollored and sent him to the shower. And then? Straight to bed. It's only 5:45 pm. Today, I'm a failure. I was doing so good too........

10 comments:

Ward Family said...

i remember you throwing up red beets all over your plate when dad made you try them...funny!

Amy Heath said...

Okay, I felt bad, and didn't make him go to bed afterall. But MAN! I know that he loves those things!

Susie said...

Yep, been there. At least you can say you were doing good before that. I've had more than one day when I've blown it before 10 a.m. Keep at it!

Steph said...

You're not a failure! Kids are just so stubborn that sometimes you have to take a stand. Our kids have gone without dinner gone straight to bed more times than I can count. They still complain...and it makes me really mad when I've gone to the trouble of cooking something tasty.

Scott and Lorri said...

Been there and my child was 20 months old. when he threw up he got a shower in his high chair and I had to walk away. yup, put the whole thing in the shower and left. I felt horrible when I fould out he had the flu.

Teri said...

what? you sent him to bed???? that is it? Seriously I thought you might have broke his arm or threw the food in his face...You are doing GOOD.

Mike & Anna said...

Thanks for the laugh. I have a kid like that. I send him to bed hungry. He always wakes up "so hungry"and then I serve him his dinner, and he eats it. I'm glad to hear from you.

Mike & Anna said...

By the way, M is Anna Hawkins...

H.A.M.A. Fam said...

I love you Amy!! Brian gets real upset when the girls start saying they don't like something - even if they try it and don't like it. I tell them that even if they don't like it they need to be respectful and sit at the table while the rest of us eat- WITH OUT complaining. Then they can go hungary for the night if they so choose. It really isn't as easy as it sounds! Even though they are older they still don't get it and we have to go through the big ordeal of fighting.

Kellie said...

I like M's way of handling the situation. My little one just doesn't eat and when it is time for bed and he says, I am soooo hungry, I say, well, you should have eaten dinner, good night! They aren't going to starve to death ;) at least not for a few days, lol.