Thursday, August 23, 2012

Grandma Shelley

There is one thing I can say about growing up.  Yes divorce is hard.  BUT, fortunately for us, we ended up with the two best "step parents" a kid could ask for.  The term seems so cold and impersonal, and while technically that's the title, they were FAR more than just that growing up.  

Today is "Ode to Grandma Shelley" day....with such a huge change in my life lately, I can say this has been the most emotional 4 months in my marriage so far.  I miss my husband terribly, and sometimes cry uncontrollably.  I long for those nights again when he will walk through the door each night, to see 4 anxious faces so ready to greet him.  I yearn for his hugs, and even that twinkle in his eye right before he is about to give me a ration of crap!  

When I'm in meltdown mode, I have to try and hide it.  My poor kids miss him as much as I do, and they long for Daddy time.  They have asked for Uncle Matt to come visit, Uncle Aaron, and even both Grandpas.  Understandably, they all have very busy lives, schedules, or families of their own.  But enough whining about me...

Today I honor, love, adore, cherish, and deeply appreciate Grandma Shelley.  She happened to catch me last night in the middle of an emotional, frustrating night.  She always calls so cheerfully to see how I'm doing.  (Keep in mind, she has since re-married, and has an additional family as well...) If you want to see the picture of one of the most Christ-like people in my life, well, here ya go:


I am kicking myself now for only using my lame phone camera for this picture, and not my good one!  Moving forward...

Grandma Shelley showed up today right on time.  All 3 kids anxiously awaited her arrival, at 9am!  She came through the door with a smile, a plan, and open arms.  My kids had the best day!  She spoiled them rotten.  They got to see The Lorax in the theater, eat tons of treats, go to Taco Bell, make homemade playdough, and some other surprise...I won't know about till tomorrow...and chocolate cookies!  Does it get any better?  Well...it just so happens that it does!  All day we spoke with an accent, and didn't fight a bit.  Can it be?!?  Well yes it can.  

She may be small in stature...but large in spirit.  She made my home a happy place to be today.  (Which has seriously been lacking.  I know that I need to work harder to create what she did in just a few short hours.)  We can go months without catching up, and pick right up and feel like we've never skipped a beat.  I was given a gift.  I was given 2 moms.  One that I  "biologically" am related too, and one that agreed to take us on in all our craziness.  She has unconditionally loved us through so many hard trials.  With a smile on her face, and not one selfish bone in her body, she loved us as her own.  (And still does.)  Today, she was my knight in shining armor!  :)  I needed to get away so bad, and she created a little piece of heaven to come home to.  It smelled good, the kids were happy, the spirit was there, and I felt at peace.  Thank you is all I can say.  Although it seems so inadequate.  Thank you for loving my kids, my silly family, and most of all me despite all my many downfalls and short comings.  Between her and my own amazing mother, I have some MIGHTY big shoes to fill.  Austin says, "Mom, why aren't you more like this?"  And in Abryn's prayer, "Please bless that we can have more days like this and not fight."  Wish me luck...

1 comment:

Susie said...

Oh, what an angel! How much does she charge? We could use a dose of her around here, too. You are doing a great job, Amy! I'm not sure how you manage - I am pulling my hair out with all the fighting around here - some days I swear they like it! Hang in there - it will get better.